Jul 7, 2008

"The Association"?!

I'm concerned about the cost to join associations. With unconferences, social media and mesh events you've got to wonder what value does an old age association provide me as a professional marketer.

Look at the dues to join the Canadian Marketing Association. Wow! Add another associations dues of about $10K and I'm looking at a cost of $25K for just two associations. As a member I get discounts on events but hey it ain't much! Add the fact that I have to invest my time in participation and the ROI on this investment is looking pretty grim in my eyes and the President of my company.

I imagine many marketing professionals are looking for more valuable ways to network and learn. Unconferences and social networking is the way to go IMHO! I'm hopeful that associations like these will think about how they price their services in the future. They may want to think about getting involved as sponsors for various unconference events like ProductCampToronto.

No comments:

Post a Comment