May 22, 2009

Using Linkedin to listen and conduct research

Too Much Social Media?

In my journey to find things that matter when it comes to B2B marketing I find myself stretched thin when it comes to social media. I use Delicious, Twitter, Friendfeed and Facebook (a little). I get overwhelmed by the amount of noise but enamored with the potential social media represents. A vicious cycle no doubt. Having said that I'm starting to realize what matters to me.

First, social media starts with People and making meaningful connections with them

I do get a kick out of using these tools and connecting with people. These people, by the way you're one of them, are opening my mind and helping me see how social media can be used for business reasons.

Second, social media leverages online groups

This is the most interesting part of social media to me. In an earlier post I talked about how SBBUZZ is using Twitter to group people together to chat about small business and technology.

Another way that social media is "grouping" people is through the conducting of polls. On May 1st, a Linkedin Poll asked the question: "What is the most important new platform for brands to master?" To date over 2300 people have responded and 73 comments have been posted.

This is powerful! In Chapter 5 of Groundswell the authors talk about how social media can displace market research companies. Here's an example where that is taking place!

In summary

For me, social media is about connecting with people, learning from each other & sharing. It also can group people with similar interests to converse (like SSBUZZ is doing), vote and debate.





1 comment:

  1. If you try to keep up with all the social media outlets that everyone says you "should" be using it can feel like climbing out of a big, muddy hole. You grab and grab, dig and dig, and you end up frustrated and tired with no progress.

    The key is to look at social media not as a "thing to do" but as a way to engage and enhance relationships. Do that and you'll find that a few outlets are probably right for you, and then you'll be able to fit social media into your routine...at least as much as you fit in building relationships.

    If building relationships is something that falls to your back burner then you should address that problem before you bother with social media.

    ReplyDelete